Friday, April 6, 2012

Magic Eight Ball...

I am still in complete shock that it's April already.. Especially since I told myself I would take the CCRN certification exam in June and have only cracked open my books once or twice.. March went by way too quickly, and although I am excited for summer, I am not excited about having to decide what to do once my lease is up. I have been ridiculously anxious trying to figure out whether I should stay another year in Indy or whether I should try my hand at travel nursing. Although, Wise-Dani realizes everything will work itself out as it should, I-Need-To-Have-A-plan-NOW!-Dani is a hot mess of anxiety and panic.

Just like I used to do in high school, when trying to decide if I should break up with a boy, I think I need to create a "pros and cons" table for my nursing future...

PROS TO TRAVEL NURSING:
-$$$
-traveling on someone else's dime
-warmer, tropical climates
-new adventures
-i'm young, single, and bored in Indy.. so now's a good time
-everyone is married in Indy.. so there's potential for better man selection elsewhere..
-did I mention, $$$?
-more experiences/different ICUs = better RN
-there is talk of our head transplant dude leaving.. so the program could possibly change for the worse.. so maybe i don't want to stick around?
-i can always come back to Indy after a 3 month assignment, if i hate it..
-most people i have talked to loved being a travel nurse..

CONS TO TRAVEL NURSING:
-i will most likely be working in dysfunctional ICUs, since they are who hire travelers
-no friends
-i've worked really hard to get to where i am in my profession.. and am enjoying my new(ish) gig as charge nurse..
-i am respected on my unit (at least, as far as i know..)
-i still feel as though i still have a lot to learn on my unit..
-i know what i am doing (most of the time) on my unit..
-no overtime..
-saturday nights alone.. with no one to call to hang out.. which is going to suck since i am an extremely social being....
-i will miss my yoga, climbing, and pole dance studios..
-the reality that i am going to get lost.. a lot.
-i have a great group of friends here, who i absolutely adore
-starting over as "the new nurse" sucks since everyone assumes you're retarded..
-do i really want to "start over" again somewhere new every 3 months?...
-what if i love it and this is the last summer i ever spend in Indy??

I have no idea what I am doing/ want to do/ need to do, etc.. and I feel as though I am going crazy because of this.. Wise-Dani tries to tell me to "calm the fuck down and be patient", but Slightly-Manic-Dani needs answers now.  Starting over is really terrifying, and although I have done it many times before, I am not sure if I have enough courage to do it again... Blahhhhhh.... Magic 8 ball, what in the world should I do?  There is nothing, NOTHING, that I hate more than uncertainty..



1 comment:

  1. In case you don't agree with the answer from your magic 8-ball, here is a piece of advice which may help :)

    http://cosmicangle.blogspot.com/2008/10/discover.html

    ReplyDelete